GOD wants YOU to help through charity work with alleviating pain and sufferingBy
Waiting for others to do something about the world’s pain and suffering…. something we don’t have time for at Relief Share, as our time is spent knitting, crocheting, sewing, serging, and making items to be donated out. When that is done we must take the donations to where they need to go. Think we are done? Nope. That’s when we have to ‘fill the pipeline’ and get needed supplies to do it all over again.
Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Supplies or donations? The answer – both. With no supplies, there aren’t any donations and with donations not being given out, there would be no need for donations. What creates the need at all? The sick and needy. What if all the sick and needy were taken care of and our efforts weren’t needed? The Bible tells us that the poor and afflicted will always be with us. What that means for us is we need to pick up our feet and work harder, longer, more productively and faster.
Sounds like a lot of effort? You betcha. But…it is worth it and it is fun and rewarding.
Do you want to help? It’s really easy – pick one:
- send donations of supplies or finished items to Relief Share, 6078 Lundy Rd, Houston, MO 65483-2225 – there are volunteers at both locations immediately putting your donations to good use and getting them to where they are needed most urgently.
- rev up your sewing machine, knitting machine, knitting needles, crochet hooks or crafting skills and create the items that are needed. There are lots of free patterns on our blog. If you don’t see what you are looking for, email us at info@ReliefShare.org and we will send you a pattern. What is needed?
Here is a list of the most urgently needed items. You can either make them, ‘find’ them in your closets or a friend’s closet while de-cluttering, or buy them and donate by popping them into a box and mailing it or bringing it by one of our locations.
1. Baby bedding – quilts, receiving blankets (if you are making them 36″ x 45″ is marvelous, 45″ x 60″ is wonderful and any size is great), crib sheets, cocoons, anything to keep baby snuggly and warm
2. Baby clothing – onesies, shirt, outfits, sleepers, gowns, socks, booties, shoes, hats, etc
3. Baby accessories – diaper bags, tote bags, toys, nursing pillows and covers, hygiene items (shampoo, wash, diaper cream, conditioner, etc), diapers – cloth and disposable, pacifiers, boppies, bumbos, baby baths, high chairs, cribs, playpens, exersaucers, carriers, wraps, mobiles, toys, books, CDs and DVDs – anything baby.
4. Items for families – food, clothing, hygiene items, books, learning items for homeschooling families or those augmenting public school learning such as workbooks for preschool and grade school, art supplies, pens, pencils, coloring markers, paints, etc. Pots pans, dish cloths, and basic household items as we help the homeless and those in crisis centers. We love to accept donations of prayer shawls and hats for chemo patients.
5. Items for displaced animals – we help animal shelters, individuals that foster displaced animals and can use dog and cat food, veterinary supplies, equine supplies, small animal supplies – cages, flea and tick collars and liquids, milk replacement, dog and cat beds, scratching posts, collars, leashes, and more. Those old blankets make really nice animal pads as well.
5. You fill in this blank. Do you have it and don’t need it? Do you want to de-clutter your house and help someone else? We take anything you want to send and give it to where it is needed the most. Please send items that are clean and in good condition. (I really didn’t want to say that but after having to get the office fumigated because of bugs sent in a large donation of really nasty condition, I have to). Here is your mini lecture – the people who need your help are God’s children. Only send items that you would give to the Christ child, himself. Nuff said.
6. If you want to help with fundraising (this said while lifting our eyes to heaven pleading for help),
- please consider donating part of your ebay auctions to Relief Share.org – we are listed with Mission Fish on Ebay and run charity auctions through GrandmothersAttic.net (for FREE – the time and expense for the ebay auctions is from our family owned business and many items you see offered on ebay are donated from our family store – we put our money where our mouth is) – just choose us from the drop down list on ebay when you list auctions.
- Consider making a donation through Paypal to info@ReliefShare.org – just click on the donate button on this page.
- Drop us a check, money order or cash (accepted but not recommended in the mail) to Relief Share, 6078 Lundy Rd, Houston, MO 65484-2225. We have been at this address for over 20 years doing charity work and will always be here (barring unforeseen catastrophes that have not been penciled in on our calender so not likely to happen! We will be old and grey and in a wheelchair still here working hard for many years to come.)
- Donate stocks or bonds We have a wonderful stockbroker we work with who will be more than happy to process your donation.
- Donate inventory or goods – many times you can write off the full value for tax benefits. Have a car sitting around, an airplane, a house, closing a business? Talk with your tax people or book keeper – you may find out it is cheaper to donate the items you have than sell what you have and don’t need or want. We have had donated entire inventories of craft and general merchandise stores as the work of trying to tell the left over inventory from a store closure brought a lot less in value that simply donating the inventory and claiming the full value than just pennies on the dollar. We have warehouses and garages to store the inventory as our volunteers quickly process the items to get them to where they are needed the most.
How do we get ‘it’ all done? Folks have asked us that before. It’s easy. We network with other charities and organizations to leverage volunteers and supplies so we are able to respond quickly and effectively to disasters, crisis, and pleas for help from the sick and needy. There is no corner on charity and no need to get credit for what we do. Networking is good for everyone – you included. Network with us to bless God’s children.
Relief Share Founder, Carol Green, commented: “We don’t care who gets credit, as long as the need is taken care of. If we all work together, everyone is helped. The only one that really needs to get credit is God. Give ALL praise and glory to God, our Father, as He is the real source of all blessings.”
Having said all this – we want to you consider donating to your own community first. What? Yep, that’s right. Yes, we desperately want what you have to donate to us to share with the sick and needy, but if you donate locally first and strengthen the community you life in – this creates a better world for everyone. Strong caring supportive communities make a better world. So, please consider first what you can do locally, and then, please help us. We need you. The sick and the indigent need you. Please do something and do it today.
Hugs to you for reading all of this, and bigger hugs when you act on it. Thank you so much to all of you who have made miracles happen for those who are in need. Together we are making a wonderful difference in the world.
So now you have items gathered and want to send them, but need to know where they should go. Consider this information and prayerfully consider where you want your donation to go:
A comment on Newborns in Need (NIN) from Carol Green: ” My husband and I are the founders of NIN. It is our first ‘baby’ that we helped untold numbers of babies through and our friend, Connie Edwards, took over the reigns when my genetic blood disease got the better of me for a couple of years. She is running NIN as a large successful charity started from the first baby item cut out at my kitchen table. Last year she handled over 6 million dollars in donations.
True to the dream we envisioned when we started Newborns in Need – no one is paid in all of our 50 chapters across the nation and none of the board of directors are paid – it is a work of the heart, not of the wallet. Knowing Connie, there are probably more chapters than that now.
Please check out the NIN website and find a chapter nearest you. They need your help. Now that I am back on my feet and running ReliefShare.org – I expanded my charity mission to include more than just the babies we all adore and promote both ReliefShare.org and NewbornsInNeed.org – find the locations nearest you and help today!”